Thursday, February 25, 2010

People Politics

I would not say I am an expert or a total noob in this field. But I guess over the last year and a few months of this year, I learnt a lot about the nature of human beings.

Culture plays a huge role on our reaction and acceptance to something. And like it or not, we have only ourselves and our upbringing to blame because we didn't know and imitated others.

"Monkey see, monkey do..."

Probably this might not really apply to everyone, but this really applied to me in my life.

I always wondered why some people can talk to another person in a very negative tone and give it to him/her in the face but the other person just bends down and accepts. So does that mean that we, when we were brought up in such an environment will think that this is the right way to do things?

Yes and No...

It is not entirely a YES but neither it is a NO. If you are young, naive and innocent, oblivious to what's right and wrong, of course imitating our parents actions and reactions = NORMAL activity. How did we learn to walk, run, climb trees etc..... We picked the speech and language up through daily interaction. We study and gain more knowledge from our teachers. We enrich ourselves by indulging in more National Geographic magazines and documentaries.

But if we carry our 'habits' since we were young till the day we are liable for our actions (18 years or 21 years and above), and if we KNOW that it is not right, what do we do?

Isn't that a struggle we all face? I love tea and my bf swears by coffee in his daily life. He drinks almost 5 cups a day and even before sleeping, he takes coffee. I seldom take my tea. But does that justify that what he did was wrong and what I did was right?

I love life. Its where we live in the gray area and our actions are judged based on other people's personal yardsticks.

And I learnt that if they say, "Michelle, you can be honest with me. You can tell me off one if I did something wrong. I can take it one! Don't worry!!!", please do not believe in this. I learnt it the hard way. Never give real feedback to people who cannot accept that they are no good. And same to myself as it is the same as to others. I also don't like it if people whom I am not so close comes up to me and points a finger at my flat nose and tell me 'because of this nose, you don't look pretty.. go for plastic surgery lah!'. So, I shall not even bother to tell anyone the truth unless I am a subject matter expert.

But of course I am not discouraging people to tell the truth. But do it smartly. Frame your words nicely but give them the double edged sword to wake them up gently but stabbingly painful that they learn. But never, please, never put your heart and soul to destroying that person who did something hurting to you. It makes you cloaked with anger, hatred and the force will turn to the dark side (uh oh.. sounds familiar aye?).

Sigh... People politics, inequality, etc... It will still continue till long after we are all dead. 2012, I am awaiting the day we all depart from our living hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment