Sunday, November 14, 2010

Grass is always greener on the other side.....

When you are on one side of the lawn, you will always feel the other side of the lawn is better. Grass there is greener, looks more tame, feels more tame and fresher as compared to the side you're in.

You decided to hop from your lawn into the other lawn. Yay! I have finally managed to cross my ugly patch of yellowish lawn into this awesomely green lawn.

After exploring for awhile, you want OUT...... GOSH! My 'greener pasture' has SNAKES, WASPS, LEECHES etc etc etc........

You jump back into your lawn with one annoying leech falling off after filling its belly with your diabetically-sweet blood.

You look at the wound while sitting on your yellowish grass, laughing about how silly you have been, lusting over the greenery on the other side of the lawn. You grow to appreciate the yellowish grass you have in your lawn.....



I wish I could feel that now. Or, as always. People are always not contented with what they have. If we were, we'd still be cavemen by now. Well, at least we'd still have natural shelter. But no, I prefer my fan and aircon, and my little lembu kids. Moo.....

When we were dating, I always wished we were married. And when we got married, it was like the best thing that ever happened in our lives. And of course, with a happy occasion like us registering ourselves as lawfully wedded couple, we had our fair share of 'friends' who of course, were green with envy. Envying isn't that bad, but trying to compare yourself with others all the time, feeling shitty about your life and writing things to bring another person down just because they are younger than you and they got married first is just not the way it should be.

Probably these people should see marriage as a blissful thing, at the same time, a huge compromise.

Not only for Matt who had to adjust from living in a 606sq feet apartment comfortably to living in hostility with his wife's mountain of goodies at home. Oh man, my husband suffers because he loves me. I just have too much craft items at home. But of course, taking concerted effort to donate/give it all away. You know how hard it is to do such things, right?

He had his fair share, I have mine too. Mine is not really about adjusting to the space constraint. He bought us a bigger space! yay! Nearer to the office. My office, that is. Thank God for an awesome husband.....

But of course, being 23 years old, I want to be able to travel around the world. I have friends traveling around, taking pictures of the Rocky Mountain, probably going to the Alps soon. Sending postcards to her family members whenever she sets foot in a new place.

I want to be able to take on a high-flying corporate job that requires be to slog from 8am till midnight and pay me bazookas to blow Malaysia up into pieces. Just kidding. But yes, fat paychecks. A lecturer introduced me to a very good job in the heart of KL. But of course, being together means having to compromise.

I hate it when people used to ask my hubby (2 years back) what I was doing. Like, hello? I was 21 and I have to of course, study hard for my paper qualification, right? Not to mention, I don't quite study hard because there's just that much literature we have. Others involved brain cells and more video shooting. My life was just as sucky as other teenage kid's life. Poor hubby had to answer, 'oh, she's in the final year now. Graduating next year' or somewhat like that. And those judgmental aunty/uncle will go, 'oh... i see....' and turn away, probably feeling embarrassed that they asked the question or because they feel that my hubby was a 'cradle-snatcher'. Gosh, sometimes I wish I could just cut off the tongues of these people and toast it, serve it to them between 2 slices of oatmeal bread :) healthy! Eat ya own tongue, mofo....

But then again, being married and all, they expect you to be more 'mature'. Since when maturity came with marriage? If it was so, I would have sold my little cousins to be married so they won't pour pee into the water  container and serve it to guests. They will grow out of their childish acts and act as a man/woman. Wow... The power of marriage! ptui... Like it's really going to happen.

But this is what I really want to say,

Grass may look greener on the other side, because that is the 20% you want to have in life.

Grass may be yellow and pale on your side, but it has 80% of the things you need in life.

Don't go on envying your neighbour's 20% green grass on the other side of the world. He has to deal with snakes, leeches and gnashing + teeth grinding creatures in his beautiful lawn. He may look proud of his green lawn, but we don't know what secrets they are hiding. Attempting to jump into their side of the green lawn may result in .................................. (fill the blanks with your own answers).

Don't dump the 80% of what you have for the 20%.

I have my 80% already, even though it is in bits and pieces, but at least it is still worth my time....

No comments:

Post a Comment